Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Wed Apr 8 08:22:48 CEST 2009

Quoting Martin:

> If I had to decide now, I would conclude that the middle dot can be
> allowed in the protocol, and that only registries such as the Japanese
> one that thinks it's needed for their users should allow it.

This suggestion makes all previous discussion of cross-label effects
seem trivial. What agency is supposed to decide which registries get to
use selected subsets of the IDNA2008 character repertoire? If all you
have in mind is requiring that a registry declares need for supporting
the middle dot before permitting its use, it hardly seems worth the
effort. Otherwise, this implies that we sanction one set of rules for
ccTLDs and one for gTLDs -- eclipsing any policy issues that have as yet
been mentioned here.

/Cary