No subject

Tue Nov 18 23:43:20 CET 2008

. However, the "permanent" interopability issues outlined above a=
re bound to "taint" labels with an "=C3=9F" for an inde=
finite period of time, with the most sensible option to disallow registrati=
on completely to avoid those problems.<br>

I think it&#39;s not very likely that all vendors agree on a single mapping=
 - particularly with the WG scope of not dealing with a mapping as part of =
the protocol. However, i&#39;d like to propose the following:<br>
- add text to Section 5 of idnabis-protocol that says<br>
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0&quot;characters that are PVALID MUST NOT be su=
bject to mappings&quot;.<br>
Or (more focused)<br>
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0&quot;characters that are listed as Exceptions =
(F) in Section 2.6<br>
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 of [tables] MUST NOT be subject to mappings&qu=
ot;<br>
I&#39;m not sure whether that contradicts the &quot;local matters&quot; par=
t in Section 5.1 (and i&#39;m pretty sure it creates problems elsewhere), b=
ut i think it solves the &quot;permanent interopability&quot; problem outli=
ned above. That means that &quot;=C3=9F&quot; stops working during the tran=
sition period, but also means that it can be treated as an independent char=
acter *after* the transition - bundling is not required, Mr Weiss and Mr We=
i=C3=9F can both have their distinct domain names, etc..<br>

Is that a way forward? Comments appreciated.<br>
Alex<br>
Idna-update mailing list<br>
alvestrand.no</a><br>