Proposal for the charter

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Mar 17 19:44:18 CET 2008

--On Monday, March 17, 2008 17:28:54 +0100 "Marcos Sanz/Denic"
<sanz at denic.de> wrote:

> Harald,
>
>> "Registration time" and "lookup time" are easily understood terms with
> lots
>> of common usage;
>
> Yes, and it's the "common usage" that will lead to misunderstanding.
> Because the issue at stake is not (only) about the characters that a TLD
> registry allows or not.
>
>> the terms "stored strings" and "queries" take more
>> explanation to relate to the DNS context
>
> But are neutral and carry the actual and complete meaning.

I disagree with that statement, obviously.

>> (do you consider a domain name in
>> the HTML of a Web page to be a "stored string" or not? Why not, and how
>> much time do you want to spend to explain what you mean?)
>
> Do you consider a domain name in the HTML of a web page to be subject to
> requirements at registration or at lookup time? Actually not relevant.

I consider a domain name that is looked up in the DNS, or registered in the
DNS, to be subject to the requirements of this specification.

I consider the format of a domain name in HTML to be outside of the scope
of this specification, but inside the scope of the HTML standard.

Now you can answer my question - is it a "stored string" or not?

                 Harald