AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Mar 11 02:01:59 CET 2008

There is also a clear difference in pronounciation,
at least in the standard German pronounciation
(and this, besides typewriter history, may be another
reason why sharp s is not used in Switzerland: The
pronounciation difference disappears in most if not
all Swiss dialects).

strase -> short 'a', voiced 's'
strasse -> short 'a', non-voiced 's'
strasze (sz=sharp s) -> long 'a', non-voiced 's'

This distinction became clearer with the recent German
spelling reform. Before, there were other rules that
affected whether to use a sharp s or not.
(growing up in Switzerland, I never had to learn them)

While pronunciation differences alone are clearly not
useful to decide whether to allow a character in IDNs,
I hope this will help to make everybody understand why
Germans and Austrians care about sharp s.

Regards,   Martin.