Feedback of PAN L10n project on IDNAbis for Languages of Developing Asia

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Mar 2 10:50:25 CET 2008

Sarmad,

I saw only Urdu and Nepali in the wiki so assume others are still to
follow?

1. are the urdu suggestions for inclusion in DNS consistent with
Patrik's properties-based inclusion algorithm plus contextual
exceptions? If not, we will need to figure out how to achieve
consistency.

2. I assume that "translations" are intended to be local and that
their use would result in normalized ASCII outputs for each of the
referenced domain names currently in the list for ccTLDs and gTLDs
when the localizations are externalized - like the use of Fully
Qualified Domain Names in email systems that allow abbreviated domain
names internally.

This form of localization gives rise to some serious confusion if any
of the listed translations become valid internationalized ccTLDs or
gTLDs.

what is the general thinking about dealing with that potential conflict?

Vint