character set for Nepali IDN

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Feb 19 16:15:57 CET 2008

--On Tuesday, 19 February, 2008 16:32 +0545 Basanta shrestha
<basanta.shrestha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> Listed below are the unicode codepoints and their status to be
> used for internationalized domain names.
> Language = Nepali ( ne_NP)
> Script  = Devanagari
> Requires ZWNJ & ZWJ ( 200D & 200C)
>

> 0901	          PVALID
> 0902	          PVALID
> 0903	          PVALID
> 0904	          DISALLOWED

Dear Basanta Shrestha,

I am trying to study this extremely helpful list but, while I am
doing so, want to be sure that you are aware of one critical
issue: neither the DNS, nor any present or proposed version of
IDNA, are able to make distinctions among languages that share a
script.  Nepali-specific information may be very useful as a
recommendation for registries accepting strings to be registered
as labels in that language but, from an overall IDNA
perspective, a single list of characters and rules are needed
for Devanagari, independent of any of the specific languages
that use that script.

regards,
  John Klensin