Stability of valid IDN labels

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Apr 22 20:16:35 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Frank Ellermann <
hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com> wrote:

> John C Klensin wrote:
>
> > To say this a little differently, such changes in Unicode are
> > not made in secret, but involve opportunities for public
> > discussion.  It is reasonable to assume that the negative
> > effects on IDNs of making such changes would be part of the
> > relevant discussions.
>
> I'm far from sure how reasonable that is:  The introduction of
> u+1E9E was discussed in public, but decided by a third party
> not interested in its effects on the Internet, let alone IDN.

For those who (perhaps unlike Frank) have not memorized the code points of
all characters, this is the *CAPITAL SHARP S.*

While of course Unicode can't be limited to just characters that work in
IDN, this particular change -- and the ramifications for security and
compatibility -- it was discussed at great length over the course of many
meetings. It was encoded largely at the request of the German national body.

Moreover, there is little issue that the form occurs in documents, nor that
it is not the preferred capitalization.

The Unicode list is not really public, e.g., it was removed
> from Gmane.org later, and it is not indexed by search engines.
> This is neither relevant nor public for practical purposes:

I'll ask our administrator, but you can certainly search for material that
is in the Unicode archives. Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aunicode.org+%22capital+sharp+s%22

> Disallow: /cgi-bin/ in <http://www.unicode.org/robots.txt>
> is about the Web interface to the Unicode list archive among
> other things.
>
>  Frank

Mark