Talking about changes from IDNA2003

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Apr 17 23:50:07 CEST 2008

--On Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 17:12 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> Greetings again. One of the first goals of the charter is for
> the newly-formed (yay!) WG to decide in broad strokes which
> features of the design team documents we want and don't want.
> About a month ago, I posted the following:
>
>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
>> Internet-Drafts  directories.
>>
>>	Title           : High-level Changes From IDNA2003 To IDNA200x
>>	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman
>>	Filename        : draft-hoffman-idna200x-topics-01.txt
>>	Pages           : 5
>>	Date            : 2008-03-13
>>
>> This document is a summary of what changes are embodied in the
>> initial set of documents that are for IDNA200x.
>>
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-idna200x-to
>> pics-01.txt
>
> This document will *not* be an RFC. It is just meant for
> discussion within the group, and will die a quiet death as we
> move forwards with the real WG documents.
>
> Before we dive into discussing the changes themselves: does
> anyone have suggestions for changes to the list in the
> document?

Paul,

Despite your "will not be an RFC" comment above, I was
tentatively planning to fold your list into the introduction to
the Rationale document since it is a start on an
executive-summary-level overview of what is different.   Unless
you, or others, object, that will be in the first WG version of
that document, which I'm going to try to have out sometime next
week.

Of course, if I'm going to do that, fairly quick input about
things that should be either added or dropped is even more
important (although I expect that Rationale will go through
several revisions so that the things I get wrong can be
corrected).

More broadly and for others, I'm trying to go through the
pre-charter discussions now to capture what should be covered in
Rationale and is not.  Left to my own devices, I will probably
miss some things.   So, if anyone else would like to summarize
topics that are not now covered, I would appreciate it... and at
least get placeholders in for further discussion.

best,