WG Review: Internationalized Domain Namesin Applications (Revised) (idnabis)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Apr 10 12:16:18 CEST 2008

Not speaking for Eric at all, but it took a very, very long time
for the two sides on the debate to understand what was the best
way forward. One side (the draft authors and others) was convinced
that equivalence between simplified and traditional forms of Chinese
characters in IDNs was essential, the other side (Ken, me, and some
others) knew that it was impossible because the mapping was not 1-to-1
and way more complex and language dependent than case mapping.

The solution we arrived at in the end was bundling, but that may
have taken 2 years or more.

Regards,    Martin.