WG Review: Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (Revised) (idnabis)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Apr 10 11:08:29 CEST 2008

Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
> Vint Cerf wrote:
>> The "public" reference is in some sense both a combination of more
>> IETF involvement beyond the design team that has developed the IDs
>> upon which it is expected the working group effort will be based and
>> the general public to the extent that "last call" might engage
>> parties in addition to the usual IETF participants. Please do note
>> however that the design team believes it has consulted selectively
>> among IETF and linguistic experts in the course of refining its
>> proposal. It wishes to validate its work with a wider community.
>
> Vint,
>
> When we consider how IETF Working Groups, or the IETF as a body
> function functions, that is, when we consider what "the usual IETF
> participants" bring to truly difficult issues, the outcome of the
> tsconv draft may be illuminating to others. I know it was an
> illuminating experience to myself, and to the named authors.
>
> I don't suppose for a moment that the tsconv experience must be
> repeated, but I don't know that the assumptions that lead up to it
> have been critically examined and any issues identified and resolved.
Eric,

would you care to be a little bit more explicit?

hta at hta-warp:~$ ls internet-drafts/*tsconv*
ls: internet-drafts/*tsconv*: No such file or directory

so I guess you mean:

Internet Draft                                 Authors: XiaoDong LEE
<draft-ietf-idn-tsconv-02.txt>                          HSU NAI-WEN
Nov 16th, 2001                                          Deng Xiang
Expires in six months                                   Erin Chen
                                                        Zhang Hong
                                                        Sun Guonian

But what lessons did you draw from it?

                  Harald