A comment on draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-05.txt

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Apr 7 02:09:19 CEST 2008

Towards the end of the week I got around to reading the current drafts,
and looked twice for the following:

    o the ou ligature (in Abenaki, French orthography lacked a "w"
character at the time literacy in text was adopted), which is used
interchangably with the "w" and the "ou" sequence of two characters, and
the numeral "8" (particularly after the typewritter entered broad use);

0223        ; PVALID      # LATIN SMALL LETTER OU

    o the code points for UCAS, not that I'm particularly fond of the
"U" or the "C" part of that, as Dirk's approach does make historic texts
in Siksika and Carrier and Cree pre-UCAS orthographies more difficult,
but it is a script in use;

1401..166C  ; PVALID      # CANADIAN SYLLABICS E..CANADIAN SYLLABICS CAR
166D..166E  ; DISALLOWED  # CANADIAN SYLLABICS CHI SIGN..CANADIAN SYLLAB
166F..1676  ; PVALID      # CANADIAN SYLLABICS QAI..CANADIAN SYLLABICS N

    o the code points for Tsalagi;

13A0..13F4  ; PVALID      # CHEROKEE LETTER A..CHEROKEE LETTER YV

I wrote the author of the tables draft, mentioning the first and last of
these three, forgetting the second, and the reply was a suggestion that
I explain why I would want these.

While Abenakis have, and can continue to use characters other than "8"
and the ou ligature to represent a character common to a very large
number of words (not quite as bad as "e" in English or "ii" in Siksika,
still wicked common, in fact, the correct way to write "Wabanaki" is
(obviously) with the ou ligature, and it that is not available, either
the numeral "8" or the alpha "W". All the northern New England,
Maritime, and most Quebec Indians consider themselves to be "Wabanakis",
the name of the pre-contact confederacy, and also simply meaning "Dawn
Land People".

The case for UCAS, whether called Inuktitut or Cree Syllabics (both
slight abuses of convention) is rather obvious, instruction in several
languages in the primary grades is conducted using the script. I'm
definitely a spectator, barely being able to read simple Cree in syllabics.

I've not forgotten the earlier suggestion in the prior WG (and
elsewhere) to define Cherokee as "confusingly similar" and therefore to
make its character repertoire invalid. My view hasn't changed. Better
mechanisms exist to eliminate "confusingly similar" visual properties of
individual characters than marking the character(s), independent of any
other context, as invalid, see for instance the problems posed by arabic
numerals (RTL) in BIDI scripts.

Look (imperfectly) through the IDNA archives, which I've mostly ignored
up until now after the infrastructure-or-applications choice was made, I
see that someone made this comment: "... Cherokee which has little
current use and is a problem for confusables, but whose elimination
could be a cause celebre and be taken as discriminatory."

As it happens, registration for the CNO's online language class is still
open and the next cycle of classes begin on April 7 2008 and run through
June 13 2008. To register go to: http://www.cherokee.org/siteregistration/

Anyone who wants to learn the language may, the classes are free, and
fonts are available from the CNO site.

I trust this has been sufficiently responsive to the tables draft
author's suggestion. Again, I'm pleased to see these repertoires "valid".

Eric Brunner-Williams