06FD and 06FE should be PVALID for Sindhi

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Apr 1 22:32:14 CEST 2008

At 18:30 +0200 2008-04-01, Kent Karlsson wrote:

>From your description, they seem to work much the same way as "&" and "#".

No. & is used to mean 'and' or 'et' or 'agus' or 'och' and other
things. But you can write 'and' or 'et' or 'agus' or 'och'. The
SINDHI AMPERSAND is the **only** way in Sindhi of writing the
conjunction that translates as 'and' or 'et' or 'agus' or 'och'. Do
not be led astray by the character name. That is something invented
by English speakers. The proper name would be SINDHI CONJUNCTION IN
(the pronunciation, I believe, of this word), alongside SINDHI
POSPOSITION MEN (which is the pronunciation of the word which
translates as 'in' or 'dans' or 'i').

>It surprises me that those words would not have pronunciations,
>pronunciations that could be written using letters...

It is possible to write "in" and "men" in Sindhi. But those are not
permissable spellings for these two words, and would be spellings for
other words.