06FD and 06FE should be PVALID for Sindhi

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Tue Apr 1 18:30:12 CEST 2008

Sarmad Hussain wrote:

> The code points 06FD and 06FE encoded for Sindhi are
> DISALLOWED as their properties are not properly encoded in
> the Unicode.  These two code points are NOT SYMBOLS but are
> LINGUISTIC entities of Sindhi, used for the conjunction "and"
> and preposition "in" for the language.  Taking these out is
> same as taking out the words "and" and "in" from English (for

>From your description, they seem to work much the same way as
"&" and "#". And "&" and "#" are classified as symbols (even
though they actually are ligatures formed from "et" and "lb",
and there is arguably even an uppercase form of "&"). So I don't
see that 06FD and 06FE are wrongly classified in Unicode, given
your explanation here.

> example).  Both are VERY HIGH FREQUENCY words in any language
> and for Sindhi as well.  They DO NOT have an alternative in Sindhi.

It surprises me that those words would not have pronunciations,
pronunciations that could be written using letters... (That
the symbols may be preferred in writing, for some reason, is a
different matter. Whether they should be treated exceptionally
in IDNAbis is also a different matter.)

	/kent k