06FD and 06FE should be PVALID for Sindhi

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Apr 1 15:46:11 CEST 2008

I should add one thing to Sarmad's explanation in the note
below, based on a conversation with him and others over the
weekend.  The name assigned to U+06FD, ARABIC SIGN SINDHI
AMPERSAND, appears to have added to the confusion (at least my
confusion).  In at least many of the Latin-derived languages
that use it, "ampersand" is a one-character symbolic
abbreviation for "and".  In Sindhi, U+06FD is a single-character
spelling for what we call "and" in English and it is the _only_
way to spell that word/concept.

Unless there is some fundamental issue that we do not know
about, or unless it is appropriate and possible to correct the
property assignments in Unicode 5.1, I think these character
should go into the Exceptions table as he suggests.

     john

--On Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:24 PM +0500 Sarmad Hussain