Re: idna folding (was Re: idna-bis and '゜')

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Dec 16 23:46:32 CET 2007

Hi Patrik,

On Dec 16, 2007 12:50 AM, Patrik Fältström <patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:
> First of all there is a difference between mappings at time of
> resolution, and at time of registration.
>
> If we start with the registration mappings, people do have interest of
> treating for example swedish and norwegian o with diaeresis / slash as
> the same codepoint.

Just out of curiosity, are there any Swedish or Norwegian company or
personal names that are written with o-diaeresis or o-slash, and would
any of them be offended if their names were displayed with the one
that they do not normally use themselves in printed matter, business
cards, logos, etc?

> This mapping at time of registration is something
> we have had already in the previous IDNA of course (in some
> registries), but now also vendors that create browsers have interest
> in implementing those mappings at time of registration.

I guess you meant resolution instead of registration in the case of
the browsers. In any case, I hope that these browser developers do not
start implementing such mappings unilaterally. I would hope that they
would discuss this with others (e.g. on this mailing list), so that
there is some hope of interoperability.

Erik