Re: idna folding (was Re: idna-bis and '゜')

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sun Dec 16 09:50:19 CET 2007

On 12 dec 2007, at 00.37, Mark Davis wrote:

>> (given the requests I have got for example)
>
> Patrik, can you be more specific about this? Numbers and examples to
> justify
> this would be useful.

First of all there is a difference between mappings at time of
resolution, and at time of registration.

If we start with the registration mappings, people do have interest of
treating for example swedish and norwegian o with diaeresis / slash as
the same codepoint. This mapping at time of registration is something
we have had already in the previous IDNA of course (in some
registries), but now also vendors that create browsers have interest
in implementing those mappings at time of registration. Another
example is the discussion on how to handle codepoints with accented
codepoints in French.

And this is only the latin scripts.

Having people agree on mappings (including lower casing) will not work.

    Patrik