Mixing scripts (Re: Unicode versions (Re: Criteriaforexceptional characters))

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Dec 25 05:38:42 CET 2006

At 09:21 06/12/25, Soobok Lee wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:43:02AM +0900, Soobok Lee wrote:
>>
>> And Verisign adopted similar local charset based registration filtering
>> for IDN.com around 1999/2000/2001 (confirmed),
>
>Correction: I confirmed Verisign have local charset based filtering for IDN.com
>_even NOW_.  ( Verisign started IDN.com from 2000, not from 1999).

Yes. With the paypal exploit, I think Verisign got quite a bit
more careful. They realized that the rules "if a language doesn't
have a language table, you can register anything" was really a
bad idea. In my opinion, the problems actually started when
ICANN produced guidelines that contained the word 'language'
over and over, but the word 'script' nowhere. That fortunately
has been corrected.

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp