OID value: 1.3.6
This international (?) organization is significant because it is the parent of the Internet OID.
The original registration shows (in part):
From this description, it sounds as if the use of the code for OID registry was an unintended side effect of the original registration.
- Name of coding system
- USA DOD OSI NETWORK
- Name & Address of issuing organization
- Defense Communication Agency
1860 Wiehle Ave
Reston VA, 22090-5500
Tel: 703 437-2802
Fax: 703 437-2382
- Description of organizations covered by the code
- US DOD will assign a sub value to any commands, the bases, or field activities that participates in the DOD OSI network program. The program encompasses all military commands throughout the entire world.
- Notes on use of the code
- The ICD code forms the initial part of the OSI network addressing and naming tree as depicted in Addendum 2 to ISO 8348.
- Date of issue of ICD
- February 1988
Object identifiers currently registered in DoD documents seem to be assigned under 2.16.822.214.171.124, which seems like a reasonable place to put them.
See also the OID Repository website reference for 1.3.6