[R-C] Interesting reference: "thin, fast" vs "thick, slow" data streams research project

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Mon May 28 17:39:48 CEST 2012

Hi,

Well; my colleague Andreas Petlund from Simula Research Lab here in
Oslo got this national project accepted. The text at the reference is
a typical project-start public announcement, i.e. work on the stuff
described here *will* happen (and hence it cannot be more concrete and
detailed). There is also a larger counterpart project, also led by
Andreas, currently under negotiation, so I think we're all bound to
hear more from him, and get our latencies reduced more and more!   :-)

If you're interested in things that *have* happened, laying the
foundation of this project, there is some concrete technical stuff
there - Andreas has already worked on latency reduction for TCP
traffic ("thin streams", as he and his Simula colleagues Carsten
Griwodz and Pål Halvorsen call it) in his Ph.D. thesis, and
contributed some related TCP modifications to the Linux kernel. His
bibliography is at: http://simula.no/people/apetlund/bibliography

Cheers,
Michael