[R-C] Effect of ConEx on RMCAT

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Fri May 25 15:34:59 CEST 2012

Hi

My take is that one can in WebRTC (or in for that matter any other service that will use RMCAT) do feedback in many different ways. We limit ourselves to Video for simpicity.

One can do receiver based rate adaptation and only feedback rate requests, or.. One can feedback actual congestion signals from the network (packet loss and ECN using e.g RTCP XR) back to the sender, where rate adapatation is done. It does not preclude the use of delay based rate adapation for the cases where the transmission path is buffer bloated.
In the former case (rate requests back to sender) a ConEx enabled sender cannot insert any meaningful information into the IP headers. In the latter case (feedback of packet loss, ECN) it is possible, the question mark is then how often is feedback needed ?

Questions are:
+ Should one bother with ConEx here ?. I would say that ConEx should be considered when feedback mechanisms are being discussed. Congestion management is a hot topic among operators and I would say that a mechanism that makes services expose the congestion that they cause/experience should improve the chances for them to be accepted without having the packets crippled in an unpredictable way, yes I know ConEx is experimental and may not fly but when one choose between feedback mechanisms one should consider the possibility that ConEx can fly.
+ Do I say that ConEx should be baked into RMCAT ? , probably too early for this but I say that if the appropriate feedback mechanisms are in place, then addition of ConEx is made easier later on.

Of course one can dismiss ConEx because it is too premature but the risk is then that it will be necessary to change the RMCAT specification later on to contain the necessary elements to interoperate well with ConEx.

IPv6 only:  Yes its true but the reasons behind this in the ConEx WG charter are more the results of a lenghtly BoF and WG formation discussion than technical. Re-ECN is a proof of concept which use the precious bit 48 in the IPv4 header. So yes, I believe ConEx can be extended to IPv4 as well (if it is worth the effort)

/Ingemar