[R-C] Effect of ConEx on RMCAT

John Leslie john at jlc.net
Thu May 24 15:16:42 CEST 2012

Harald Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand.no> wrote:

> I see that
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses/
> shows that one document is already in front of the IESG; is this a good
> starting point to read up on it?

   I think it's worth reading...

>> I see a clear impact on design choice on how to handle these. I think
>> we should discuss the impact of ConEx here before the BOF in Vancouver.
>
> The list's been relatively quiet for a while, so there's room ... the
> result of discussion may be "too far out to worry about";

   ;^)

> my 0.01 read is that Conex expects that it has to be deployed in both
> ISPs and endpoints before it does any good,

   That's not a correct read of draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses, IMHO.

   There is utility in having the expected-congestion visible at nodes
along the path. There is an expectation that at least one ISP along
the path will act on it, but it's premature IMHO to say what that
action may be.

> while the goal for RMCAT is a function that can be usefully deployed
> even if it's deployed at the endpoints only.

   Agreed!

--
John Leslie <john at jlc.net>