[R-C] RTT vs one-way delay delta (Re: Proposal comments (Re: RTCWEB Congestion Control Standardization))

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Oct 28 16:12:02 CEST 2011

Changing the subject again, since I'm diving into one little corner of
the thread...

On 10/28/2011 03:00 AM, Varun Singh wrote:

>> >  Not sure I understand this. If I understand it, suggest to rewrite as
>> >
>> >     7. The congestion control algorithm SHOULD attempt to minimize the
>> >  media-stream
>> >         end-to-end delays between the participants, by controlling bandwidth
>> >  appropriately.
> The receiver doesn't know the end-to-end delay, the RTT is calculated
> at the sender. So is the sender making this decision or the receiver?
We shouldn't make this decision as part of the requirements list, but:

It's not necessary to know the absolute value of something in order to
attempt to minimize it; the delay-based algorithm is jiggling things
around and seeing if the sender->receiver end-to-end delay increases or
decreases.
There's a floor somewhere based on speed of light in fiber, distance and
clocking intervals, but it's not necessary to know what that floor is in
order to try to approach it.

I would argue that RTT is in fact a distraction for this optimization;
the time it takes packets to go from receiver to sender does not give
any information about the one-way end-to-end delay from sender to receiver.

(Imagine using this with a typical cable TV network with a fat,
uncongested downlink and an anemic, highly congested uplink - if
optimizing a downlink stream based on RTT measurements, we would
experience wild swings in RTT because of the upstream congestion
delaying the feedback packets, but tweaking the sending rate based on
this information would downgrade, not improve, the experience.)