[R-C] Congestion Control BOF

Justin Uberti juberti at google.com
Sun Oct 9 05:29:06 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf at jesup.org>wrote:

> I'm responding to the new list, but CCing people for now until they have
> a chance to join; if you want to continue in this discussion join the
> list at http://www.alvestrand.no/**mailman/listinfo/rtp-**congestion<http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/rtp-congestion>
>

> On 10/8/2011 5:13 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>> That could mess up A/V sync, I'm afraid.
>>>
>> How? The A/V timestamps would still be available for syncing, but we'd
>> use the send-time timestamps to compute throughput (and then would have
>> the ability to measure each packet's transit time individually, rather
>> than looking at frame generation -> frame arrival timing).
>>

> Well, I'm probably being overly-worried about processing delays (and in
> particular differing delays for audio and video).  Let's say audio gets
> sampled at X, and (ignoring other processing steps) takes 1ms to encode.  It
> gets to the wire at X + <other steps> + 1.  Lets say video is also sampled
> at X, and (ignoring other processing steps) takes 10ms to encode.  It gets
> to the wire at X + <other steps> + 10.  So we've added a 9ms offset to all
> our A/V sync, and in this case it's in the "wrong" direction (people are
> more sensitive to early-audio than early-video). And if "other steps" on
> each side don't balance (and they may not), it could be worse.  I also worry
> more that in a browser, with no access to true RT_PRI processing, the delays
> could be significantly variable (we get preempted by some other
> process/thread for 10 or 20ms, etc).  Also, if the receiver isn't careful it
> could be tricked into skipping frames it should be displaying due to jitter
> in the packet-to-packet timestamps.

> So perhaps I'm not being overly-worried.  I realize that I'm trading off
> accuracy in bandwidth estimation (or if you prefer, reaction speed) for ease
> in getting a consistent framerate and best-possible A/V sync.
> In a perfect world we'd record the sampling time and the delta until it was
> submitted to sendto(), so we'd have both.  (You could use a header extension
> to do that).

There's a lot more going on here. The algorithmic delays for audio and video
will often be different, the capture delays perhaps wildly so. In addition,
you won't want to just dump the video directly onto the wire - typically it
will be leaked out over some interval to avoid bandwidth spikes, and the
audio will have to maintain some jitter buffer to prevent underrun - so I
think the encoding processing deltas will be nominal compared to the other
delays in the pipeline.

I think this also does illustrate why having "time-on-wire" timestamping is
really useful for increasing estimation accuracy :-)