[RTW] Non-IETF work: Coming up with a high level API spec

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Mar 24 20:29:14 CET 2011

Despite the fact that it's getting very close to our BOF session, other
things are happening....

I've been working with some other people on getting together a
specification for a very-high-level Javascript API for media control.
This is intended as an "easy to use" API for those who do not wish to
put detailed control in Javascript, and allows to build applications
without getting into signalling protocols - those can be handled at
server side if needed, or by other libraries if needed / possible.

It's roughly at the same level as the just published WHATWG
PeerConnection API or the now-gone ConnectionPeer API, and many
functions are identical, but there are some differences.

The spec is here:

https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/pub?id=1_lFKBgjNMVy98TMZT0kZ67RD57j1aL7ldPzv5zcJpgw

It does not specify a format for sending data, since I believe we do not
have consensus on even the design constraints for this - there are also
other parts that are not fully fleshed out.

Feedback welcome. If people want edit permission, so that they can enter
comments directly into the document, pass me your google account info.

                        Harald