[RTW] Relationship of the proposed W3C RTC group with WHATWG

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 23 22:42:55 CET 2011

On 03/23/11 17:10, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> > > While there is an obvious need for IETF activity on underlying
> > > protocols, codecs and formats I'm unsure as to how a W3C RTC group is
> > > going to effectively manage any overlaps here.
> > So am I. Input here and to the WHATWG and W3C on what people think
> would
> > be appropriate methods to manage the division of labour would be
> > helpful. I have my opinions, but I'm not the only one whose opinion
> matters.
>
> The best suggestion I can come up with is to set up formal
> cross-review milestones.
> That is, the IETF RTCWEB might produce framework or API requirements
> documents that the W3C
> RTCWEB WG could review, and once there is agreement on those and
> things are further along,
> the IETF RTCWEB WG could review a W3C RTCWEB API document for
> compatibiity with those
> documents.
To me, this seems like both too much and too little; it would require
setting up another level of bureaucratic complexity with work items that
have to be signed off on by multiple participants, many of which are the
same on both sides of the virtual "fence", while it doesn't do anything
that prevents real disagreements or disconnects to occur.

My preferred working method would be to have each group acknowledge that
its output only makes sense in conjunction with the output of the other
(I think the charters of the 2 already do that), and to rely on cross
membership and people's desire to get useful output to get the
harmonization we want.

                    Harald