[RTW] New proposed charter text. Please review before the BoF.

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 18:38:33 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Elwell, John
<john.elwell at siemens-enterprise.com> wrote:
> Ted,
>
> In the same way that charters tend to call out "horizontal" topics for special mention, such as security, privacy and NAT/firewall, I believe the ability to achieve interop with existing equipment should also be given a mention.

Hi John,

Unsurprisingly, I am also a fan of interoperability.  But I think
there are multiple ways to scope interoperability.  The charter
currently does it by focusing on the interoperability we get at the
protocol level, largely by choosing tools for this toolkit that match
the tools already in place (e.g. RTP, ICE, etc.).  I agree that we
shouldn't select tools that are in place but unusable.  I think we end
up having to trust the working group on this anyway, as it will decide
which tools are unusuable even if we insert a "don't pick unusable
tools" section.

So the basic question boils down to:  do we also want to assert a need
for interoperability with a specific application or set of
applications in the charter?

My personal take is no.  Those are use cases, and important ones.  But
the charter is focused on building a toolkit "to enable innovation on
top of a set of basic components."  I have no doubt that someone will
be able to build a fully backwards compatible service using these
components and a gateway,.  But the more important charter goal is to
get the component set right to enable them to build more than that.
And I think calling out that specific use case is more likely to limit
our vision than to result in more clarity in picking protocols and
tools.

Again, just my personal opinion,

regards,

Ted Hardie