[RTW] Review of draft-holmberg-rtcweb-ucreqs-00 (Web Real-Time Communication Use-cases and Requirements)

Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com
Tue Mar 15 09:45:19 CET 2011

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>Do you know of ONE device, presently existing in the Real World (that
>is, outside of labs) that supports TWO specific, different codecs, and
>is able to use either of them, but is not able to use them at the same
>time?

I can confirm that there are currently mobile phones on the market, that do have this type of restrictions, i.e. they in general support certain audio and certain video codecs with certain modes, but not all combinations of them, due to limited HW. And these are phones that do have SIP VoIP/video clients, so in that sense they are relevant. So if we want to take RTC-Web to as low end as SIP has already gone, the issue is probably real. At the moment these devices don't typically have a browser with all bells and whistles, though.

Markus