[RTW] RTP Session Multiplexing (Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-perkins-rtcweb-rtp-usage-00.txt)

Matthew Kaufman matthew.kaufman at skype.net
Sun Mar 13 13:02:05 CET 2011

On Mar 12, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> Putting these together, it is my view that we should allow for IP/port
> based demux of differing sessions, but we should also design a demux layer
> that can enable everything on a single IP/port.

Agree. It saves NAT resources, traversal effort, etc. to be able to multiplex, but for legacy compatibility and other use cases it is mandatory that we also support synchronized real-time audio/video on separate ports.

> And furthermore, the
> latter should be the preferred technique for browser-to-browser
> communication in the base case.

Agreed, for resource utilization / "good for the Internet" reasons.

Matthew Kaufman