[RTW] New draft on WebRTC API draft-jennings-rtcweb-api

Elwell, John john.elwell at siemens-enterprise.com
Fri Mar 11 18:56:20 CET 2011

Cullen,

I need some clarification on this.

1. The Advertisement Proposal Model in section 1.1. No real surprises here, and I think it is consistent with the model I had in my mind from what various other folks have posted. Just one question: although the browser app would use the ad/prop pattern to interact with the browser, I assume the intention is that it would still permit offer-answer on the SIP path between servers (or between a server and a conventional SIP entity). Correct?

2. The Offer Answer Model in section 1.2. From the figure, it is not clear whether the SIP UA is in JavaScript or in the browser, although the rest of the paper it seems to suggest the latter, so I assume that is the case. I think the essence of this is a tradeoff between more functionality (SIP) in the browser versus more in the application. The paper seems to say that applications that just want to use a basic session capability without worrying about details could use this approach, without having to incorporate a SIP stack etc.. On the other hand, applications that want to provide a comprehensive real-time communications experience, e.g., with automated handling of incoming calls, multimedia/telepresence, fine-grained user controls over audio/video quality, media security, capabilities such as transfer and hand-off between devices, etc., would use the first approach. Is this a fair summary of what you are proposing?

3. With the offer-answer approach and a SIP/SDP stack within the browser, the bar for browser compliance is raised considerably. We all know that interoperability has proved difficult with SIP/SDP, more so than RTP and some codecs, say. I recognise this is somewhat alleviated by the limited SIP profile you propose (and presumably a limited profile of SDP could be used). However, it could certainly delay the availability of RTC-Web support in browsers and increase interoperability uncertainties. Your opinion?

Nit: Both 4 and 4.2 have the title "Connection API".

John