[RTW] [dispatch] Does RTC-WEB need to pick a signaling protocol?

Henry Sinnreich henry.sinnreich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:34:16 CET 2011

If XMPP evangelists can commit not make any more pitches for XMPP, maybe the
evangelists for SIP (count me in) could reciprocate :-)
So, suppose we move on, especially, since application level scripts for both
basic SIP and basic XMPP can be written and published as OS by those who
really want to.

And here we are getting to the key point IMO that both Jonathan and I have
mentioned: Leave the field open to innovation.
While SIP has been focused on telephony, XMPP has been focused on chat rooms
and both, while successful have missed the major innovations on the Web that
have happened since, mostly without any new standards:
* REST
* P2P RT A/V/IM
* Web mail
* Wikis and blogs
* Social networks
* Web conferencing
* Web office apps and enterprise apps
* Cloud services
* Streaming HTTP and CDNs, etc, etc.

Note that except for P2P RT A/V/IM, mostly basic/core HTTP and HTML
standards were used.
>From this perspective, it is enough to let SIP and XMPP folks publish their
application level scripts and support some mechanism for endpoints to use
either or both if so desired.
The key however is not to shackle innovators with either SIP or XMPP or both
(the worst outcome) as mandatory.

Actually, as mentioned here, is not the W3C supposed to specify the API for
RT-Web?

Thanks, Henry