[RTW] Does RTC-WEB need to pick a signaling protocol?

Erik Lagerway erik at hookflash.com
Sun Jan 30 09:02:59 CET 2011

I understand the argument and agree that pure http might be the right course
at some point in the future but the fact remains, SIP rules in
communications "today", it will do so for years to come. It might be wise
for us to move forward on a standard that is understood and appreciated by
not only the developer community but also the business community paying the
bills.

Yes, we can build anew atop http, all it takes is time and money.

An http effort will take a while, I think we all know that. How long did it
take for SIP to displace H.323? I think the unanimous answer is "too long".

We have a standard that exists today, one that we are all very familiar
with, one that works! It would seem a shame not to leverage all we (and our
employers) have invested, which is considerable.

This is a major event in communications, we need to consider this carefully
but we also owe it to "standards" to do it quickly, which has not been the
norm it seems.

*Erik Lagerway | hookflash | m. 604.562.8647*