[RTW] Including or excluding an establishment protocol (Re: [dispatch] The charter formerly know as RTC-WEB take 3)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jan 28 16:38:00 CET 2011

Changing the subject as is my habit.... forgive the introductory
philosophical distraction.

I tend to look at success criteria, and if we need to achieve something
to achieve success.

If we fail unless we do this work, it MUST be done.
If we can succeed without doing this work, it does not have to be done.
If we can succeed only if someone else does this work, we need to make
sure that other thing also gets done (the classical example here is
Javascript APIs for the functions we make available).

In this case, I define success (for myself - YMMV) as "browsers ship
with well defined, usable functionality that allows audio and video
communication between applications running as web pages in those
browsers". More functionality (including legacy device interoperability
with gateways only in the signalling path) is nice to have, but not
essential for me to decide that we have succeeded.

The charter is a description of what work is to be done in this WG of
the IETF.

If the IETF includes a signalling stack in the specification, it helps
achieve the goal. But it's not essential, because those bits go across a
wire that (likely) points in the direction of webservers that the pages
load from, and those webservers can do signalling intermediation as needed.

What IS essential is that the semantics (not the syntax) of the
information needed to establish the connections between the browsers is
known and documented - because otherwise, the goal can't be achieved.

I'd be happy if the charter defined somewhat weaselly words like
"Describe the information that must be exchanged between the endpoints
in order to establish connectivity, and optionally describe how this
information can be represented using existing signalling protocols".

But I wouldn't be happy with a charter that said "put SIP or XMPP in the
browser". It's not necessary for success, so I don't want to be bound to
doing it.