[RTW] [dispatch] The charter formerly know as RTC-WEB take 3

David Singer singer at apple.com
Fri Jan 28 04:04:34 CET 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 1:15 , markus.isomaki at nokia.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adam Roach wrote:
>>
>> On 1/26/11 8:04 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>>> Perhaps the charter should explicitly say this but that is why it
>> seems so mute on this topic, it is.
>>
>> I would imagine something along these lines would put the topic to rest:
>> "The selection, design and/or extension of a protocol or protocols for
>> establishing and controlling media sessions is in scope for the working
>> group."
>>
>> I think it's a lot better than remaining silent on the topic, since it
>> leaves several avenues open to the working group. We really don't want
>> to get part of the way down this path with people under the
>> misimpression that we *must* design a new protocol, or that we *must*
>> select an existing protocol. I think we should do whichever of these
>> makes the most sense after a careful analysis, and that such analysis is
>> best performed by the working group (not in DISPATCH).
>>

> I think the question at this point is that what aspects of the media session establishment and control *need* to be standardized.

I would hope, as I have said before, we standardize at two levels.

A) a framework, with clear interfaces, that hangs together (e.g., in this case, 'a session initiation protocol goes here').
B) instantiations within that framework that make at least one working system.

I don't want the framework to assume "only XXXX is ever going to be used in this context" even if XXX is the only instantiation of one the modules

David Singer