[RTW] [dispatch] Charter proposal: The activity hitherto known as "RTC-WEB at IETF"

Stefan Håkansson LK stefan.lk.hakansson at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 18 11:15:50 CET 2011

I agree to that there are situations when a fallback to http (or perhaps WebSockets for a more efficient transport!) is required.

But I don't think the http streaming solutions are the answer. Those solutions to my understanding build on chopping up a stream into segments, and each segment is represented by a file. Each segment is typically several seconds long, and that is not sufficient for conversational services where the mouth-to-ear delay should be far below 1 second (yes, we should discuss if there should be a requirement, and what it should be in that case).

Sure you could use much shorter segments, but with all the encapsulation/wrapping data the overhead would get really big.