[RTW] [dispatch] Charter proposal: The activity hitherto known as "RTC-WEB at IETF"

Christer Holmberg christer.holmberg at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 11 15:24:02 CET 2011

Hi,

I have some comments/questions on the proposed charter.

GENERAL:
--------

In my opinion it is good that the charter lists tasks that have to be solved, but I don't think the charter should specify the technical solutions.

For example, rather than saying "RFC 4833 based DTMF transport" it should say "DTMF transport".

Because, we haven't discussed different DTMF transport mechanisms, and I don't think we shall discuss them as part as the charter discussion.

The same comment applies to NAT traversal, identification of media stream purposes etc.

Similar, I don't think the charter shall list different codecs, but only say that the intention is to choose a baseline codec for audio and video.

NEGOTIATION:
------------

The charter talks about baseline codecs and transport (RTP/RTCP). But, I think it shall also cover the possibility to negotiate the usage of other codecs and transports.

INTEROPERABILITY:
-----------------

The charter says:

"interoperate with compatible voice and video systems that are not web based"

And, later a baseline codec for PSTN interoperability is mentioned.

But, interoperability is much more than having a codec. You will need some "gateway" that performs mapping between the web based system and the non-web based system. Is the working group supposed to define such mapping?

QOS:
----

What is the thinking behind the addition of DiffServ?

W3C API:
--------

The charter seems to put requirements on the W3C API. In particular, it talks about "signalling state". What is that?

FUTURE WORK:

If we are going to list potential future work, I would like to add "connection control" to the list.

Regards,

Christer