[RTW] [dispatch] Known encumberances != exhaustive list of encumberances (was Gateways and does anyone think "H.264 for ever"?)

DRAGE, Keith (Keith) keith.drage at alcatel-lucent.com
Sat Jan 8 00:03:19 CET 2011

Whether such work is supposedly IPR free or not does not guarantee against future IPR claims. I'm not even convinced that claims by an author that something is IPR free gives any better guarantee of such.

The only hope you have is that a particular solution has been worked on in an organisation which requires declaration of IPR from participants, and that all the player in the field with enough money to initiate an IPR claim were involved in that work.

So if I wanted the safest solution against future IPR claims, I'd go for the one that was worked on by the largest number of significant companies in an SDO with an appropriate IPR policy.

Note that this is safest, not safe.

Keith