[RTW] [dispatch] Codec standardization (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Elwell, John john.elwell at siemens-enterprise.com
Fri Jan 7 18:38:47 CET 2011

[JRE] It is true that a lot of existing devices do not support STUN, and rely on intermediaries (SBC) to achieve NAT traversal. However, those intermediaries could be made to mediate between RTC-Web devices and other devices. Getting those intermediaries to handle STUN on the RTC-Web side is feasible - getting them to do transcoding, particularly for video, is an entirely different matter. So in other words, it depends how much functionality we are prepared to put into the gateway.

John