[RTW] [dispatch] Codec standardization (Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-dispatch-rtcweb-protocols-00)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jan 7 14:07:02 CET 2011

On 01/07/11 10:56, Elwell, John wrote:
> I also agree that codecs such as H.264 AVC need to be considered, because of interworking with non-RTC-web users, conference bridges, etc.. An important part of the proposed charter is:
> "* interoperate with compatible voice and video systems that are not web
> based"
This can turn out to be seriously problematic if we don't constrain it
carefully - when we wrote this, my thinking was that it meant "if
devices send and receive media in formats that we support, and the setup
is performed in a reasonable way through intermediaries, we should be
able to send media directly to them".

I see the use case that we *have* to support as the browser-to-browser
use case. If we are able to support other use cases too, that is a good
thing, but very much a lower priority to me. Opinions may differ.

                 Harald