[RTW] dearly love packet inspection

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 20:37:28 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Henry Sinnreich
<henry.sinnreich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay "direct flows of non-RTP application data" goes beyond scope creep;
>> to satisfy this completely, we are talking an end-point-to-end-point tunnel,
>> which will run afoul of a lot of folks who dearly love packet inspection.
>
> Why should the IETF and W3C abide by the folks who love deep packet
> inspection? I would like to see some IESG guidance here, since it is
> contrary to Internet and to the Web. Break of privacy, etc.
>
> To accelerate clarity here, what does Harald and people on the list think?
>
> Thanks, Henry

Hi Henry,

I'm not a huge fan of packet inspection.  But "any application data" is clearly
well beyond the audio/video use case that motivated this work in the first
place.  I expect that it would make firewall traversal significantly
harder unless
it lost privacy; that trade-off would make the voice/video privacy *worse*.

It also will make the communication among browsers in a multi-party
mode move from known issues (media mixing and floor control) to something
closer to that of an overlay network.  That's not impossible (setting
up an overlay
when you have a rendezvous server, basically moves it from mediating
the signaling
path to being an enrollment server), but is also not simple.  Is it
really needed
for job one here?

regards,

Ted