[RTW] Charter proposal: The activity hitherto known as "RTC-WEB at IETF"

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Jan 6 14:48:06 CET 2011

On 01/06/2011 01:49 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> This is the first of 3 messages going to the DISPATCH list (in the hope of keeping discussions somewhat organized).
>>
>> This is the draft of a charter for an IETF working group to consider the subject area of "Real time communication in the Web browser platform". This is one of a paired set of activities, the other one being a W3C activity (either within an existing WG or in a new WG) that defines APIs to this functionality.
>>
>> The two other messages will contain the W3C proposed charter and a kickoff for what's usually the most distracting topic in any such discussion: The name of the group.
> Dear Harold;
>
> Just to be clear, your intent is to have simultaneously a W3C WG and an IETF WG on this issue ?
>
> Shouldn't there be some text about coordination between these efforts ? I don't see much discussion in either
> charter as to which is gating, but it seems to me that the W3C work would have to be gated on the IETF work. Isn't there a danger that
> the W3C WG might start building on early solutions discussed in the IETF, only to have the IETF WG decide to go in a different direction ?
If either effort fails, we don't have an usable result, so that is
indeed very key. As proposed, I think the IETF work gates the W3C work.

The IETF charter says:

The working group will cooperate closely with the W3C activity that specifies a semantic level API that allows the control and manipulation of all the functionality above.

The W3C charter says:

      External Groups

@@@ IETF group on related protocol
    The RTC APIs developed by this group will build upon the protocols
    and formats developed in the IETF @@@ Working Group.

What more words would you suggest we put in?

Finding enough people who have the time to run back and forth between
them is a key activity; I for one am allocated to this effort, so I'll
be running.

                      Harald