[RTW] Mailing list sanity check - Re: Fwd: W3C mailing-list [was Re: Updated W3C draft charter for Web RTC WG]

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Apr 12 14:53:31 CEST 2011

On 04/12/11 14:46, Dan York wrote:
> Harald,
>
> With 3 "RTCWEB" mailing lists now in existence (the original
> "rtc-web", IETF "rtcweb" and now W3C "webrtc"), I get the sense that
> those of us who want to monitor what's going on and participate as we
> can should join ALL three of the lists, correct?
>
> This "rtc-web" list will continue to be for the overall effort, with
> the IETF and W3C lists being used for work within those bodies.
>
> Or do you see this "rtc-web" list fading away in preference to the
> IETF and W3C lists?
The ADs in the IETF have stated a preference for using the IETF list
rather than this private list; it's somewhat clearer that this list's
mail is an official IETF activity and operates under IETF IPR rules, and
we don't have to worry about the quality of management at my private server.

Somewhat similar considerations apply to the W3C.

I would also prefer to not have to run this list on my private box
forever, so I'm in favour of the "rtc-web" list fading out of use as the
permanent homes for the work get set up.

So I'm hoping to get down to two: rtcweb at ietf.org and
public-webrtc at w3.org. Some people might have interests that are
specialized enough to want to be on only one of those.

(We also have a thread about an RTCWeb-related API running on the whatwg
mailing list - that's a high traffic list, some might not want to sign
up on that one for that reason.)