Last Call: 'IETF Problem Statement' to Informational RFC

Alex Conta aconta at txc.com
Wed Jan 7 18:37:00 CET 2004

Brian,

If I understand correctly, this document is supposed to be a collection
of descriptions of problems perceived by the IETF community.

If someone makes comments during the last call (WG or IESG), one obvious
reason is that it was felt/perceived that the collection is incomplete,
or one or more descriptions are incomplete. So obviously,
resolving/including the comments is making the document more complete.

If the goal is to have this document as complete as it can be, and as
inclusive as it can be, as I think the goal is, I do not understand why
would one, sharing the same goal, oppose the comment resolution. It is
true the document is not a standard document, but it is an important
part and important reference in the work being done to resolve the
current IETF problems.

Furthermore, I am afraid that an action, that could suggest that this
document is in reality just a formality, is dangerous, in that would
undermine the confidence of the IETF community that the IETF management
is genuine in its leading toward resolving the problems which that
community perceived.

Regards,
Alex