problem statement: Engineering practice vs. management practices

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 17 19:10:47 CEST 2003

Thomas
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Narten" <narten at us.ibm.com>
To: <problem-statement at alvestrand.no>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 8:38 AM
Subject: problem statement: Engineering practice vs. management practices

> > 2.2 The IETF does not Consistently use Effective Engineering Practices
> >
> >    For an organization with 'engineering' in its title and participants
> >    who are likely to trot out the statement "Trust me, I'm an engineer!"
> >    when confronted with the need to find a solution to a particularly
> >    knotty problem, the IETF has, at least in some cases, extremely
> >    ineffective Engineering Practices.
>

> > 2.7 Working Group Practices can make Issue Closure Difficult
> >

> I have a hard time understanding the difference between 2.2 and 2.7

-- SNIP--

ss 2.2. is about a uniform Vetting Model for creating a Standard, and  2.7
is about the management of the WG's; They address related but separate
issues.

BTW - The real problem with this issue is not that the IETF does not use
effective engineering practices, its that the IETF refuses to use uniform
ones so that everyone gets the same bite at the apple.

Todd