IETF mission boundaries (Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission )

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Oct 17 23:27:14 CEST 2003

--On 16. oktober 2003 13:15 -0400 Eric Rosen <erosen at cisco.com> wrote:

>> - "For the Internet" - only the stuff that is directly involved in
>> making  the Internet work is included in the IETF's scope.
>
> In other words, routing,  DNS, and Internet operations/management.
> Adopting this as  the IETF's mission  would be a  very radical change
> indeed!

I erred in describing that category. I should have used something else - it
was not what the IESG thought it was saying in its proposed mission
statement, so me recycling the term "for the Internet" in the bulleted list
I made added confusion rather than clarifying. Sorry!

(I still think it's a valid point on the scale. It leaves us with a much
smaller IETF. But some people tend to think that's a positive side.)

                   Harald