IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

graham.travers at bt.com graham.travers at bt.com
Wed Oct 15 19:02:33 CEST 2003

James Kempf wrote:

I have not checked into this in detail, but I have heard that 3GPP has been
responding positively to IETF suggestions for improving utilization of SIP.
There was a very good and frank technical discussion at the joint meeting in
January this year.

That said, there are a few other areas of concern in some peripherial
support for 3GPP's system, which are not directly under control of 3GPP (I'm
speaking here of GRX). 3GPP has been quite helpful in addressing IETF's
concerns in this area where there is interaction with 3GPP's system, but
since the specifications are not directly under its control, there is only
so much 3GPP can do.

            jak

If this is true, it's the sort of cooperation that I referred to earlier - and of which I would like to see more.  Sure, the IETF can't force 3GPP to do anything;  but it *can* offer advice and design help, etc.  Similarly, 3GPP can't force the IETF to do anything;  but it can present requirements, which should be listened to sympathetically by the IETF.

	Regards,

	Graham Travers

	International Standards Manager
	BT Exact

	e-mail:   graham.travers at bt.com
	tel:      +44(0) 1359 235086
	mobile:   +44(0) 7808 502536
	fax:      +44(0) 1359 235087

	HWB279, PO Box 200,London, N18 1ZF, UK

	BTexact Technologies is a trademark of British Telecommunications plc
	Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
	Registered in England no. 1800000

	This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.