New version (04) of Problem Issue Document on its way

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Oct 15 15:40:48 CEST 2003

I am wondering whether this is not an aspect of the  too few doing too
much issue that is documented.
if everyone wasn't already overloaded with work then covering an
absence should not be too much stress on the system.

On onsdag, okt 15, 2003, at 12:31 Asia/Seoul, <john.loughney at nokia.com>
wrote:

>> So I suggest (this is a pointer, not a proposed solution) that
>> we need to think about a mechanism by which, if an AD becomes
>> temporarily incapacitated for a time and to a degree that the
>> AD, or a co-AD, or the IESG (details to be worked out as part of
>> the solution), anticipates will be problematic, a temporary
>> replacement or can be selected and seated.  If the disability is
>> only partial (i.e., the AD can fulfill some, but not all, of his
>> or her duties), there should be some way to select and seat an
>> assistant or stand-in.

out of curiosity is there a rule that currently forbids the IESG from
bringing in someone for a temporary task, including this one, should
they desire to do so.  or that forbids an AD from appointing an
assistant to help in times of stress?

or that forbids the IAB from bringing in an observer/consultant for any
purpose they may decide needs doing.