Comments on the Problem Statement draft: Document structure

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Tue Oct 7 22:07:35 CEST 2003

On 7 Oct 2003 at 15:42, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Charlie has spent a lot of time on this draft. But (and I suspect I am
> repeating myself) I believe we are way beyond the point of diminishing
> returns with this document. I believe, although I have my own quibbles,
> that we should stop investing effort in polishing it. It is a document
> of *no* long-term value;

While I agree with you that polishing efforts don't increase the usefulness of
the draft, I would hope that it does have some long-term value. After all it is
the first document in many years that lists in a systematic way operational
and structural problems of the IETF. As some have remarked during the
process of putting this draft together, a relevant number of problems  was
already known in 1992 around the Kobe events. The IETF has not much
organizational memory, at least not in a written, systematic way. Likewise, the
IETF's understanding of its own change seems rather anecdotical. In order to
foster learning processes, drafts such as Elwyn's problem-issue statement
should be ascribed a long-term value.

I also don't mind a few repetitions and redundancies in the draft. They make
the whole text more understandable for outsiders and newcomers, who might
struggle with some of the problems discussed in the document.

Jeanette

 its value lies in triggering remedial action,