Response to WG last call, Problem Statement: Thoughts on the IET F problem statement

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Nov 21 19:45:31 CET 2003

Robert,

let me just say for the record that I disagree with you.

I believe the fact that the IETF has technically competent leaders who are
expected to use that competence when leading the organization is a central
reason why the IETF has been successful in a number of areas where ISO,
ANSI, ITU and many others have failed.

I also disagree with your comments about the value of corporate membership
and the value of doing work (almost) only at face-to-face meetings (while I
agree that sometimes more face-to-face meetings are useful).

Differentiation is not a goal in itself.
But neither is being like others.

                         Harald