Response to WG last call, Problem Statement: Thoughts on the IETF problem statement

Robert Snively rsnively at brocade.com
Thu Nov 20 19:19:31 CET 2003

Dear Mr. Savola,

I can understand your concern about working within a carefully
structured system that guarantees open and fair access to
all interested participants.  Such structure may seem confining.

However, I am puzzled by what missions and roles you have in mind for
the IETF.  It is an engineering task force.  I have assumed it is
intended to promulgate open common solutions for the internet.
How is that different from any other SDO, which intends to
promulgate open common solutions for its own special area of interest?

If there are other roles or missions that would be left out by
considering itself as a formal SDO, they do not seem to be included
in the problem statement as constraints.  Could you please
expand upon this?

My principal point was that there is a need to more widely delegate
technical responsibility to achieve the scalability required
by today's internet standardization efforts.  While there may be
many ways to do that, the present SDOs (including IEEE-Stds, INCITS,
and ISO) provide helpful and successful models which are worth
our study.  I am not sure that the GPL development model of
Linux is a helpful model because of the structure of the
networking marketplace.  And it is clear that the present model
of IETF does not meet the requirements. (See
<http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/1117ietf.html?nl> for one
description of the problem.)

I would point out that there are other roles associated with
evangelizing a standardized technology, but those roles usually
are attached to an industry trade group or interest group without
a direct standards development responsibility.

Robert Snively
rsnively at brocade.com
+1 408 333 8135