Response to WG last call, Problem Statement: Thoughts on the IET F problem statement

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Nov 20 10:46:09 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Robert Snively wrote:
> First let me briefly introduce myself.  I have created and led the
> creation of national and international standards in the INCITS, IEEE,
> and IETF environments.  I have additionally created defacto standards
> in industry interest organizations, both commercial and voluntary.
> As a result, I have a fairly diverse background in the creation of
> standards and can speak directly to the challenges as seen from
> the working group and area levels.  From my experiences, I believe that
> I can provide some helpful consideration to the overall IETF process
> up to the IESG level.
[...]

This clearly shows that different people have different missions and
roles in mind for the IETF; some would prefer to have it as an
official SDO, in every aspect (with the problems that causes); some
others want to avoid it at all costs (with the problems we're aware
of).

I certainly would not wish to be part of a "full SDO" IETF.